Enlisted at Little Rock Arkansas in April 1953 and received recruit training at MCRD San Diego, CA. and Basic Cooks School, Montford Point, CLNC. During his enlisted career he performed Food Service duties in the following assignments:
Upon graduation from Basic Cooks School in November 1953, PFC. Gray was transferred to Marine Corps Supply Depot, Barstow, CA and performed various assignments as a Cook and Chief Cook. In 1956, Acting Sergeant (E-4) Gray was selected to attend the first Advanced Food Service Course conducted for Marines at Montford Point, CLNC and following successful completion of the course was returned to MCSC,Barstow for duty where he remained until September 1958.
Ordered to the First Marine Air Wing in September 1958 Sergeant Gray was assigned to MACS-1, MAG 11, Koahshung, Taiwan where he performed duties as Chief Cook and Mess Sergeant for this fifteen month tour of duty.
Upon return to CONUS in January 1960 he was selected to attend the Marine Corps first Warrant Officer Program and upon graduation from the WO Basic Course, and Unit Supply Officers Course, was assigned as the Food Service Inspector, Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point North Carolina. In 1961, WO Gray attended the Food Service Advisors Course, Fort Lee VA and returned to Cherry Point for duty. In October 1961 he was transferred to MAD, NATTC, Millington, TN as the Detachment Food Service Officer and Assistant Commissary Officer, NAS, NATTC, Millington. In April 1963 CWO Gray was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant under the LDO program and assigned as the OIC, West Coast Food Management Team. In March 1967, Captain Gray was assigned as the Food Service Officer, 3d MarineDivision, Phu Bai, RVN. In May 1968, he was assigned as Assistant Head, Food Service and Exchange Division, Supply Department, Headquarters Marine Corps,Washington, DC. In August 1970, Captain Gray was assigned as the Food Service Officer, Marine Corps Base/FMFLANT, Twenty-nine Palms California. Major Gray retired with more than twenty years service on October 1, 1973.
Following retirement from the Marine Corps he was employed by Interstate United Management Corporation, Chicago, IL for a ten year period as Resident, District and Regional General Manager of the Texas Region where he was based in the Dallas area.
In 1984 he was employed as Division General Manager, Texas Operations by Guckenheimer Enterprises, Incorporated, (GEI) of Redwood City, CA. Promoted to Director of Operations and relocated to Corporate Headquarters, Redwood City, CA in April 1985.
Appointed to the position of Division Vice President /General Manager in 1988 and held this position until he completely retired in March 1994 and returned to his roots in Arkansas.
Ed has been married to the former Doris Marcelle Justice of Jacksonville, AR
for the past sixty-one years. Both Ed and Doris are Founding Life Members of the Association. They have four adult sons and twelve grandchildren.
As Founding Director of the Association, Ed has served on the Board without interuption since it’s founding on January 29, 2001 and continues to serve as a member of our Board.